On Friday, September, 15th, State School Superintendent Richard Woods honored schools across the state that demonstrated high achievement in Reading on the Spring 2023 Georgia Milestones Assessment. This award is presented to administrative literacy leaders who have recognized the importance of building a culture of literacy within a school by offering literacy professional development, instructional resource support, and/or developing specific literacy programs to build capacity and increase student literacy achievement.
Vanderlyn was recognized as the top performing school in the DCSD with 96% achievement rate on the 3rd grade Georgia Milestones in Reading! State Superintendent Woods presented Vanderlyn with the prestigious Literacy Leader Award Banner for outstanding achievement in reading. Kudos to our amazing 3rd grade team, Mrs. Hamilton, Ms. Kaye, and Ms. Garcia (Spring 23) who exceeded the bar in literacy instruction!
International Night - Passport to the World!
October 19, 2023
The Vanderlyn PTO is excited to announce that we will once again be hosting Vanderlyn's annual International Night entitled Passport to the World this fall on October 19, 2023!! If you have not done so already, please consider signing up to share a culture you enjoy with us. Deadline to sign up is Friday, September 22nd.
What is Passport to the World?
It's an afterschool event where families are invited to come to Vanderlyn and tour the different tables showcasing various countries from around the world. Are you from, have lived in, or are passionate about another country? Then sign up to host that countries' exhibit. Our goal is for the Vanderlyn travelers to be able to see the flag and location of the country, learn a little about the history, customs, and people there, and possibly have a small taste of traditional food.
If you've never been to Passport to the World then please enjoy this video of our wonderful event from previous years.
How Can You Get Involved?
There are several ways to volunteer. You can host an exhibit, donate a tent for use, or help set up/break down the event afterwards.
Our PTO is excited to host the 16th Annual VanderDash 5k and 1 Mile Fun Run on Saturday, March 16, 2024!
Registration will open January 2024 and the Classroom Challenge will begin! The class in each grade level with the highest % of students registered will win a popsicle party.
$25 per runner for the 1 Mile Fun Run or the chip timed 5k.
Family Sponsorships are available for $150. Sponsorship includes up to 5 race entries (from one household only), a yard sign to proudly show your support, and your family’s name on the official website!
VanderDash funds improvements to our school!
Over the years, VanderDash has funded many improvements to our school:
Mobile computer carts, laptops, and grade level tablets
The STEM mural
The Courtyard Classroom
Media Center & Staff Lounge Upgrades
Flexible Student Seating
Vanderlyn Elementary PTO is proud to offer some very exciting field trips for our students during the 2023-2024 school year!
We are very pleased to announce that for the fall semester, all grade levels will be traveling to the Sloomoo Institute of Atlanta! The following field trip dates have been confirmed:
- Wednesday, Oct 4: 5th grade
- Wednesday, Oct 18: 4th grade
- Wednesday, Nov 1: 3rd grade
- Wednesday, Nov 15: 2nd grade
- Wednesday, Nov 29: 1st grade
- Wednesday, December 13: Kindergarten
This year we are asking for $35 per child to help cover the cost of admission and transportation for all students and staff members for 2 field trips per grade level. This includes the fall trip to the Sloomoo Institute, as well as an additional spring trip for each grade level. More information about spring field trips is forthcoming.
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to pay for your child's 2023-24 Field Trips:
1. Click HERE and log-in to your account.
2. Under "New Forms", click on "2023-2024 Field Trip Fees" for EACH child.
3. Pay the fees and get excited about some awesome field trips!
Annual Fund Update!
We are up to 76% of our Annual Fund goal for the year! Thank you, Viking families, for your generous donations so far this school year!
If you have not already done so, please consider donating to the 2023-24 Annual Fund by clicking here! Remember, 100% of your donations will be used to enhance the educational experience of EVERY student and faculty member at Vanderlyn Elementary. All donations, large and small, DO make a difference.
Annual Fund magnets were delivered to homerooms a few weeks ago. If you donated, but have not received a magnet, there will be a table set up at Curriculum Night for you to pick one up.
THANK YOU for your donations and support!
Click here for Mrs. Crenshaw's most recent Principal's Post. It includes important information, including:
- Vanderlyn receives top Literacy Leader Award!
- Dr. Norris Brown's message to families: Second Step Program
- 5th graders explore the Student Success Mobile Center (with video!)
- Parent Power Hour: September 22nd
- Parent-Teacher Conferences: September 28th
- Fall MAP Testing Information
- Dropping off Items for Your Child
- Birthday Celebrations: Expectations
- Student Code of Conduct
- Parent's Right to Know
- Carpool Notes
- School Safety and Security
- Stay Connected
- School Messenger
- School Meals
- Expressions in Motion Dance
- Chess Club
- Bus Routes
- Medication Forms
- COVID 19 Quarantine & Isolation Guidance
- Who to Contact with Questions
- 2023-2024 School Calendar
New to Vanderlyn?
Know a family who's considering our school?
Click HERE to sign up for available dates to tour our school. Tours are led by a parent volunteer. All tours begin at 10:00AM and should last about an hour.
Chromebook User Agreements and Insurance
Every Kindergarten through 5th grade student has been assigned a Chromebook for the school year. If you were not able to complete an online user agreement at the Open House, please click on the link below. You will need your child's student number to complete the form.
Please read the information below to learn about the District's repair policy and optional insurance options. If you decide to purchase insurance, you will need the serial number for the Chromebook assigned to your child. Email Mrs. Pansini at email@example.com for the serial number.
District Chromebook Repair Policy and Insurance Options:
The district will fund all repairs. However, excessive repairs will warrant further investigation and result in possible disciplinary action for the student.
Stolen or Damaged Beyond Repair
The parent is responsible for the full cost of all devices lost, stolen, or loss (damaged beyond repair). Insurance options are listed below.
Device Coverage (optional)
The district has vetted options for those parents/guardians who choose to purchase device coverage for stolen or damaged beyond repair devices. This is not a required fee to receive a device, but highly recommended. Each parent is to contact the desired carrier directly.
Note: Purchase of Insurance is a transaction between the company and parent/guardian, not the school district.
Company Name: School Device Coverage – Parent & Staff Portal / Sign Up
Annual Cost: Beyond Economic Repair, Loss and Theft/$0 Deductible/ Unlimited Claims: $19 per device
Enrollment Period: Present – December 1, 2023 (Contact vendor directly if needed after December 1)
Contact Name: Customer Service 1.888.978.3515
Company Name: Smart Tech – Parent & Staff Portal / Sign Up
Annual Cost: $19 per device
Enrollment Period: Present – December 31, 2023 (Contact vendor directly if needed after December 1)
Contact Name: Marc Bernstein 1-877-307-6777
Order Your Yearbook Now!
This year’s book will feature art from our very own Vanderlyn Elementary Students. Please do not forget to order your book, because we do not order extra yearbooks. The yearbook is not included in any classroom dues you may have paid this year. Make sure you save your yearbook receipt, and double check that it has our school and your student’s information correct. Yearbooks will be delivered the last week of school. The yearbook price is $45. Yearbooks must be purchased through Josten's site, jostensyearbooks.com. If you have any questions, please contact Emily Lane or Jennifer Benator at our yearbook email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Tryouts
Special announcement for Vanderlyn 4th and 5th grade readers!
The Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Club is a competition reading team.
If your child is interested in learning more and possibly trying out for one of the 10 slots on the team, please fill out the interest survey. Students interested in trying out need to read the following 3 books (Omar Rising by Aisha Saeed / Ride On a graphic novel by Faith Erin Hicks / The Summer of June by Jaime Sumner). You can find more information about the team here: https://sites.google.com/view/vanderlynlibrary/helen-ruffin-reading-bowl
The tryout test consists of a pencil and paper test on the 3 tryout books and is tentatively scheduled for after school on Monday, October 2. Students who earn a spot on the team will attend meetings in the Vanderlyn library on select Mondays from 2:30-3:15. The county competition has been scheduled on Saturday, January 27 beginning at 9:00 a.m. More details will be shared with students who express interest by completing our interest survey.
Dr. Adderley, Ms. Dempsey and Ms. Pansini are the co-sponsors. Please email Ms. Pansini (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Your help is needed! Please consider volunteering your time and joining one of our PTO Committees (click here for descriptions of each!). To learn more about how you can get involved or for information about chairing a committee, please reach out to Whitney Gaines and Marcy Ames at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents: Don't Miss Out on Important Info!
Make sure your PTO registration is up-to-date TODAY!
Go to Vanderlyn’s MEMBERSHIP TOOLKIT at www.vanderlynpto.org to:
- create or reactivate your online account,
- update your directory information, and
- subscribe to Viking Views weekly communications.
Click on“My Account” and “My Account and Online Forms” to:
- fill out the OPEN FORMS (Annual Fund Donation, Student Fees, and PTO Membership) and
- pay for your student’s items with a credit card.
Questions? Contact Whitney Gaines or Marcy Ames at vanderlynelemPTO@gmail.com.
Don't forget to follow us on social media!
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vanderlynelementary
- Instagram: @VanderlynPTO
After School Extended Day Program
ASEDP Details and Reminders:
- ASEDP will begin on the first day of school and run from 2:30-6:00 pm each day that school is in session.
- Snacks are provided after school for students.
- All students must be picked up by 6:00 p.m. each day.
- The front office closes at 3:30; therefore, do not report to the front office to pick up your child(ren). Please pick up your child(ren) from the rear doors of the cafeteria which are located behind the school.
In order to register your child(ren) for the program, please print and complete the document located here. **PLEASE NOTE the following:
- A lottery was conducted at the beginning of June for families who have expressed interest in the program. All families will be required to fill out the registration form in order to attend.
- To be considered for a full-time slot in the program, account balances must be paid in full prior to registering for the 2023-24 school year. If you have a balance on your account, you will have the option to pay that in full during the Meet and Greet on August 2, 2023, which will then place your name in the second lottery drawing. This drawing also takes into consideration our families new to Vanderlyn, as well as those who are new to attending ASEDP.
- It is the expectation, per DCSD policy, that payment is received in advance. Full payment is required at LEAST two weeks in advance (monthly payments are greatly appreciated).
Please contact our ASEDP Co-Directors if you have any questions:
The Vanderlyn After School Extended Day Program will operate from 2:30 pm-6:00 pm each day (for returning families, please note that the end time is now 6:00 pm, and not 6:15 pm).
Registration Information for 2023-2024 School Year
Registration Links for All Returning and New Families:
Outdoor Classroom Dedication
On May 16, 2023, the Vanderlyn PTO, on behalf of our families and staff, dedicated the Outdoor Classroom to Mrs. Crenshaw as a special recognition and appreciation for her 15 years of service, dedication and leadership as Vanderlyn’s principal.
Download the App now! Add a grade level when you scan your receipts. The App will show which grade level has earned the most BoxTops for Vanderlyn.
First grade is currently in the LEAD! Will they keep that lead in September?
Mobile App Directory and Calendar
- PTO members can access the school directory and calendar from the Membership Toolkit App. This App is currently available for free in the Apple and Google stores.
- You can toggle between up to 4 organizations you belong to using Membership Toolkit.
- Subscribe to the calendar by clicking on the menu bar (top left) > gear icon (settings) > Manage Subscriptions
Website Directory and Calendar
- PTO members can access the school directory HERE. To update your family’s account and publishing preferences for the Directory, click HERE.
- Add important school dates to your personal calendar (Google or Mac Calendar). To subscribe to the calendar, click HERE > subscribe to “Vanderlyn Elementary PTO - Dekalb County SD, GA Calendars”.
- To subscribe to our weekly newsletter, click HERE > subscribe to “Newsletters and Communications”.
- Opt-in to School Messenger to ensure that you are receiving direct notifications from the school and from the district!
- Follow us on Social Media!